so ive recently finished the song of achilles and then immediately spent the following days reading every single fic in the ao3 archive (there are only 53… pls write more fic writers!!!!!). here are the best ones that i found because if ur anything like me the end of the book left you wanting more
this is one of my favorite fics. its patroclus/achilles reincarnated in modern times, searching for each other.
- “sing, o muse” — In which Steve and Bucky are the reincarnations of Achilles and Patroclus, and the only thing worse than history repeating itself is when it doesn’t.
i havE to put this one on here bc even tho its only one chapter and incomplete steve and bucky !!!!! achilles !!! patroclus !!!! pls
- “artemisia” — The tide pulls Achilles, and it’s all Patroclus can do to hold on.
this is a little series of prettily written snapshots into some achilles x patrolcus moments
- “the hunter’s season” — Achilles is a nereid, a mythical sea creature, and Patroclus is the prince of a country that is famous for hunting them. They meet and fall in love.
what/?? a coMPLETED well written 28k AU fic??? is this real??? yes!!! and its beautiful and great so read it
- “ruins of troy” — Achilles waits for Patroclus in the underworld, but Apollo has other plans.
this is a different take on what happens after death when apollo stops them from reuniting in the underworld. well written, angsty, loves it.
- “the cot” — In which Thetis comes up with a full-proof plan to keep Patroclus and Achilles at odds by way of the worst cot in all of Greece.
this is a cute lil one shot that takes place right when achilles and patroclus first become friends. sooooo sweet.
- “reunion" —If you were disappointed on page 129 when Miller describes Achilles and Patroclus’s reunion night together as a “bounty of hours that never ran dry” but didn’t elaborate, maybe this fic is for you. Boy-on-boy sex, intense teenage heroic Greek feels.
the author describes this as just sex but i was surprised when i read this because its actually a great fic that shows achilles’ point of view on the happenings of their reunion and achilles’ view of their relationship and it was really good!!! also the smut was nice too
- “he looks right through me” — Achilles has been waiting a short eternity when Patroclus finally arrives. After Patroclus’ arrival, he spends all eternity watching and wishing but never getting, and he knows this is his punishment. This cannot be anything but a punishment.
this is so angsty and !!!!!!! very short what if au of their underworld reunion. warning: not a very happy ending.
- “our joy was so bright” — We were like gods at the dawning of the world, and our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.
fluffy underworld happenings!!!!!!!!!!! i cried a little it was so happy
- “i shall but love thee better” — In the darkness, two shadows, reaching through the hopeless, heavy dusk. Their hands meet, and light spills in a flood, like a hundred golden urns pouring out the sun.
fiNALLY THE FIC UVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!! more detail of the underworld reunion aND how they spent their days after that (warning: lots of smUT in the 2nd one !!!!!!!!!!!) this is so beautiful
- “breathless” — Separated from Patroclus after death, thanks to Neoptolemus and his bratty tantrums, Achilles is left alone in Hades, waiting to be reunited with his beloved.
exactly what it says on the tin. achilles’ pov of waiting for patroclus in the underworld
basically missing scenes after patroclus’ death. this is probably one of my favorite fics on here because the characterization of achilles is SO on point. it also features briseis and achilles mourning patroclus together and gOD it is v angsty but sooooo good
if u think ive missed any or want to talk about ur fave fic u can send me an ask bc this is basically what i live for. ((also please write more fic. the world needs it))